The purpose of this document is to define the Muskoka Roastery Coffee Co.’s policy on the use of our product and trademarks outside the normal boundaries of our pre-packaged coffee sales.
Four examples follow to provide some specificity to the policy.
- Purchasing our product (retail or wholesale) and re-packaging the coffee in a different packaging unit. This is expressly prohibited.
- Purchasing our product (retail or wholesale) and putting a sticker or label on our bag which changes our trade dress. This requires written approval from the Muskoka Roastery Coffee Co.
- Selling our coffee by the cup. This requires clear communication at the point of purchase, ideally using POS materials provided by the Muskoka Roastery Coffee Co., so that the consumer is 100% clear on the brand of coffee they are purchasing.
- Use of Muskoka Roastery Coffee as an ingredient, when the coffee ingredient is linked back to the Muskoka Roastery Coffee Co name or to the name of one of our variants. Examples would be Eplett Dairy Maple Ice Cream featuring Muskoka Maple coffee from the Muskoka Roastery Coffee Co. or Granite Brewery Stout featuring Muskoka Roastery coffee. In general terms, the Muskoka Roastery Coffee Co. is not interested in licensing our trademark or ingredients for use in co-branded applications. In the rare instances where we would consider a license, we would require the following in return…
- * Front panel logo registration, using our approved trademark, highlighting that the product contains or is made with Muskoka Roastery Coffee. Final graphics require Muskoka Roastery Coffee Co. signed approval.
- * A declaration recognizing that all rights in the product names, graphics, logos, design elements, scripts, trade dress and designs of all Muskoka Roastery Coffee Co. products, whether or not appearing in large print or with the trademark symbol, belong exclusively to the Muskoka Roastery Coffee Co.
- * An agreement on the license term and consideration.
- * A disclaimer that documents that the Muskoka Roastery Coffee Co. will not be liable for any damages, of any kind, resulting from the production or sale of the product containing the licensed ingredient or featuring the licensed trademark. This includes, but is not limited to direct, indirect, incidental, exemplary, punitive, special or consequential damages, or any damages of any type or nature.
Updated: February 29, 2012