100% of our coffee is sourced from Rainforest Alliance Certified™ farms that meet comprehensive standards for sustainable agriculture.
These standards conserve biodiversity and protect ecosystems, including soil, water and wildlife. Farm workers enjoy safe working conditions, dignified housing, access to medical care and schools for their children.
Your purchase of this product contributes to a healthy environment and an improved quality of life for farm families. To learn more about the Rainforest Alliance, visit their website.
- You want to make responsible purchasing decisions that contribute to meaningful improvements in the quality of life for farmers in developing countries.
- You want to ensure that your product choice contributes to better stewardship of the environment.
- Your choice of 100% Rainforest Alliance Certified coffee accomplishes those twin goals better than any other coffee choice you could make.
The Simple Facts About Certified Coffee
There are several good agricultural certification programs operating in developing countries. Many people refer to certification as ‘fair trade’ when, in fact, this is just one of the certification organizations or brands. The Rainforest Alliance and FairtradeTM are two of the oldest and largest certification organizations in the world.
The Muskoka Roastery Coffee Company chose Rainforest Alliance Certified coffee because this program fits perfectly with our view that a sourcing program should cover all the bases of sustainability…sound stewardship of the air, water and soil; improved quality of life for farming communities; and increased profits for farmers.
Independent research compares the impact of different certification mechanisms on matched sets of farms and concludes that the Rainforest Alliance approach results in…
- better quality, which leads to better price realization per bag of coffee
- higher yields per hectare
- sustainably better economic returns for farmers
- strict requirements to provide access to free education for all school-age children, medical clinics with trained doctors, and dignified housing with potable water
- a stronger and more equal role for women in the farm community
Protecting the Environment
The Rainforest Alliance standards also include the most comprehensive environmental criteria in existence, covering:
- soil and water conservation
- protection of wildlife and forests
- prohibition of dangerous pesticides and genetically modified organisms
You Can Make a Difference
We haven’t relied solely on research and networking to make our alignment decision; we went and visited the farms ourselves to make our own judgements. What we saw in El Salvador and Brazil confirmed what the academic studies said: Rainforest Alliance certification makes a meaningful difference in coffee farming communities and surrounding environments.
The Muskoka Roastery Coffee Company is proud to be associated with this organization.
Your purchase of 100% Rainforest Alliance Certified coffee from the Muskoka Roastery Coffee Company helps make a meaningful difference in coffee farming communities and surrounding environments.